Keeping in mind that this blog is named for a word that isn't but should be, there's a group of words having to do with quantities of qualities that are missing their natural opposites. For example:
- someone can be beautiful, but not beautiless
- mindful is not the opposite of mindless
- being a lawyer can be gainful employment; can't it also be gainless?
- my painting is worthless; why isn't Picasso's worthful?
- she has boundless enthusiasm; why isn't mine boundful?
- sometimes I'm clueless about something; I'm never clueful
- I'm also sometimes hapless, but I've never been hapful
- this blog can be playful, but it is rarely playless
- you can try to be masterful; if you fail, are you masterless?
- witless but not witful
- childless but not childful
- fitful but not fitless
Who decides this stuff anyway? Send me comments with other needful words and their apparently needless counterparts.